You are in charge of a team of five men, what do you do first?
This is a scenario that fire brigades all round the world sadly have to deal with every day. As more cars are on the roads the number of accidents are on the increase every year. To try and combat the number of deaths that happen to people who become trapped in their vehicles, or suffer serious spinal injury resulting in full paralysis by either improper extrication procedure, or good willed help by the public. The fire brigades of the western world formed an organization dedicated to the standardization of best practice training around the globe in Extrication. Each year the participating countries hold a national team challenge day, where each brigade put forward their best team of five who then compete against each other. The challenge is on two timed scenario's, firstly a twenty minute challenge, one responsive casualty, with spinal injury, the second, a ten minute rapid extraction of an unresponsive, time critical casualty. Each of these are carried out and are assessed by three world assessors who are experts in the three main areas, Medical, Technical, and Leadership. The best three teams then go forward to represent their country in the World Championships, this year the Worlds are being hosted by Cork City here in Ireland. This weekend I took part representing my County.
I have been the Waterford County team medic for three years now and managed to compete in one World Championship two years ago. Our team this year was made up of two new recruits to help them gain some valuable experience in RTC (Road Traffic Collision) training that they might not get otherwise, consequently we are not expecting a top three placing this year, but you never know!

Certainly a worthy undertaking.
ReplyDeleteI dunno.. you'd look good blonde! :-D
ReplyDeleteYou had a nice holiday then? I heard Sligo is nice this time of year!
{Shiver}
ReplyDeleteI would like to think, that if faced with that sort of situation, I would remain cool, calm and collected, however my instincts tell me otherwise.
So which one of the fine fella's be you ?
ReplyDeleteYep, the blonde's a looker too ;)
I wonder why you have the red hat.? Is that so I can recognise my own son !!
ReplyDeleteSee you were out again last night on the mountain,there will not be much left to burn soon as there have been so many fires this year.
I'm sure enjoying this window into your world. I'm a voyeur by design and truly enjoy learning what it's like to do jobs like yours. Curiosity rules me. I appreciate this blog especially because of "the code." Seems like police, physicians, soldiers, tend to keep their stories to themselves. Lot's of reasons I suppose. Nevertheless, as one on the outside, I sure enjoy what you are sharing. You might like this blog: http://www.impactednurse.com/?p=1706
ReplyDeleteBrit:
ReplyDeleteIf the matron has not given the game away yet, I'm the one with the red hat.
Michael:
I think that in a way we are all somewhat voyeuristic here in blog land.
"The code" that you speak of is very real, and indeed needs to be adhered too. The reason I have for opening up a window into our rather secretive world is to show anyone who is interested that we are just normal people, who on a daily basis have to deal with other peoples worse ever days. Also if I can get one person to slow down on the road, or fit a smoke alarm, or check on a neighbor then that will have been worth breaking the code for. The code is one of silence, designed to protect the public from the horrors that happen in every town, in every neighborhood in every country in the world. I'm telling part of the story of a small rural town, population approx. 2500 people in the town, another 1500 in the out side areas. I will indeed look into impactednurse.
Just stopping by to wish you a Happy St. Patrick's Day, I'm sure it's always a busy one for you and your team....
ReplyDelete