This weeks Poetry Bus is being driven by The 'Emerging Writer,' the three prompts were hard, in the end I chose prompt 1, Revenge!
When I was in primary school there was a boy who was the second 'Hardest' in the school, he liked to pick on any one who was below him on the 'Hardest' ladder. I managed to combat his beatings by allying myself to the boy on top of that ladder. This strategy worked up until that boy fell ill and was kept away from school. I then became the subject of Timmy Spencer's attention. It was after one of those attention grabbing days that we were to play against each other in a soccer match!
One more rung.
The tackle made him fall, me on top of him,
He the bully of the school, me the boot at his shin,
In the heat of that moment I had a split second choice,
So I struck while the iron was hot, despite my inner voice.
So I became the one who was unjustly angry,
And the one who became hell bent,
I became HIS worst nightmare,
With deeply malicious intent.
Despite the referees whistles, and poor Timmy's cry's,
I struck a blow for justice that landed between his eyes,
And in that short second, the worst he'd ever known,
I climbed one rung above him, and sat upon his throne.
Turning Tables
16 hours ago


Oo-er, aren't small boys devious. Great story and I like the rhymes.
ReplyDeleteGood one Kipling! Loved it.
ReplyDeleteI raised three boys .... your poem feels very familiar! Beautifully composed!
ReplyDeleteI so enjoyed that - hope you did, too!
ReplyDeleteMy name is TIMMY and I know where you live.
ReplyDelete(not really my name is Ron)
NICE ONE (bully boy)